Monday, March 14, 2011

Starting over...

Good evening!  I guess I will go ahead and introduce myself to everyone as Ashley.  I currently live in Pensacola.  Definitely not a native but rather an Iowa transplant.  I moved down here about a year ago with my boyfriend - now I'm definitely ready to move away.  While I love the beach, this is not the place for me and I don't think I could ever call it "home."  As he is finishing flight school and getting ready to move to the west coast, I am getting ready to go back to school in Iowa.  While I would love to go with him, it does not make sense financially.  I am planning to go back to college and take some pre-requisite classes and then apply to an occupational therapy program. 

This is a big change from my original plan to go to law school.  Advice for anyone considering law...get experience in the field before you go to law school!  Choosing to work in a medium sized firm is probably the best decision I have made in the past year.  I initially hated it but this is probably because I using a $50,000 piece of paper in a job where I was pulling staples and scanning documents.  Things got better and it wasn't long before I was working on a case.  For the first couple weeks, I actually enjoyed this...and that only lasted a couple weeks.  Recently I have began feeling disposable again.  I am not enjoying what I do at all and I have gotten very discouraged.  Honestly, I don't find it getting better.  A large part of this is because I cannot sit for eight hours a day and stare at a computer screen.  Maybe if I was in a recliner in my living room - and I could do my job from my couch (but not really allowed to) - I would enjoy myself a little more.  Like I said, I cannot sit that long...I need to have a little flexibility, change, and opportunity for movement and/or hands on work. 

That is why I feel occupational or physical therapy would be a great plan.  Its definitely a growing field with the opportunity to make a decent income and it incorporates a lot of aspects of what I would like to see in a career.  Interaction, hands on work, flexibility, and most importantly a challenge.  Having worked in an acute psychiatric care facility, I am not too thrilled about getting into mental health but I would enjoy working in a hospital with children, elderly, and those that have been victims of traumatic incidents.  I would also enjoy starting my own business as something like a life coach. LOL - I don't even know what I'm doing!  That is my current educational/work goal and I'm going to get it!

When I was in high school, I was really into running track.  I looked forward to late winter/early spring practices where we were running in the snow and having snowball fights.  Not to mention the practice after a meet when Coach would hand out medals.  I had a large collection of medals that I was very proud of.  I ran a 5k my sophomore year of college and after that I kinda fell of the bandwagon and got on a new one that consisted of beer and partying.  I recently ran a 5k without any training and was reminded of how much I enjoyed running.  It felt soooo good!  So, before I could talk myself out of it, I took the opportunity to register for another 5k.  A week or two after that I plan to find a 10k to run. 

Today I did my first training run.  It was an easy 20 minute run.  I actually made it 2 miles in 20 minutes.  For starting out, I am definitely happy with a 10 minute pace; however, I would eventually like to see an 8 minute pace (or faster!).  I know it will come with time.  But anyways, I'm off to bed...got a 30 minute run tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment