Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My First 10k!

Last weekend I knocked another one of my goals off of my list! I was originally planning to run the 5k race that was being held in my city until I got to packet pick up. I was supposed to run an 8 mile training race on Saturday so that would have meant that I would have to come home and run an additional 5 miles. So I figured running the 10k at a race pace would save me my afternoon! I found out that it would only cost me an additional $5 so I went ahead and changed my registration.

That night Princess and I went to Binelli's and enjoyed some DELICIOUS Italian food. Their lasagna is to die for! I also sipped on a glass of chianti, which I forgot how much I enjoyed. Then we made a very brief appearance at a winging party before heading home so I could crash and get up to get some food in my belly before the big race.

I woke up bright an early. Ate some oatmeal and fruit and then we headed over to PJC which is only about 3 blocks away but I made Princess drive me anyways since we were running late. The race started out great. Its always weird when I see previous clients in public and sure enough, I looked over at some point in the first mile and saw a familiar face. Legally I can't say anything to them unless they confront me first, so I definitely kept my mouth shut but it was sooooo awkward having that person run next to me for so long and not saw a word.

The rest of the race was wonderful. It went down 12th avenue which is pretty and shaded. I walked about one block around mile 5, and kicked it at the last mile. I used the strategy that my high school track and cross country coach taught me and started picking people off one by one. This strategy always seems to work extremely well and I finished at 1:02:34. That's about 10 minutes faster than I was planning!

I made my way to the bananas, oranges, and beer and waited for Princess to show up. He got stalled by a train so was a few minutes late, not to mention me finishing 10 mins faster than I had planned. We walked around a little and went back home to get ready for a day at the beach. I may or may not have indulged in a few beers Saturday afternoon, but heck, if you ask me, I deserved it after running my first 10k!

3 comments:

Hannah Michelle said...

Awesome work, I wish I could run as well as you! :) Now following btw x

Ashley Ann said...

Thanks Hannah! And you probably can with a little training! I'm pretty slow compared to many of my counterparts but thats ok! I'm doing it more for the health benefits. Thanks for following!

Stephanie F said...

just found your blog and i love it! GREAT job on your 10K! and i really look forward to keeping up with your blog. : )

Post a Comment